I've been seeing a bunch of pumpkin recipes on Vingle. An addition to the baking family - Pumpkin Sage Scones. Easily a vegan-friendly dessert with a few adjustments!
¾ cup non-dairy milk
1 TBSP vinegar
4¼ cups flour
½ cup sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
1½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
¼ cup packed fresh sage leaves, chiffonade (thin strips)
10 TBSP cold vegetable shortening (or vegan butter), cut into small pieces
1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1. Combine the non-dairy milk and the vinegar together and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and sage.
3. Add the shortening and use a pastry blender or a fork to cut it into the dry ingredients until it is the consistency of peas.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add in the pumpkin puree and non-dairy milk/vinegar mixture.
5. Stir together just until combined. Knead the dough over itself in the bowl about 4 times.
6. Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
8. Flour a clean work surface and pat out the dough to ¾" thick.
You can cut out with a circular cutter, or cut into squares or triangles.
9. Place in a greased cake pan or cookie sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes. Do not open the door to check on them for at least the first 8 minutes or you will release the steam and they will not rise as high.
10. Serve with cherry jam (if desired).