Je T'aime! Crazy Romantic French Quotes
After I graduated from college with a degree in French literature, I lived in France for a year. I fell in love – with the language, the culture, the food, the little cafés, the wine... because how could you not?
Many people love the sound of French. I think it's pretty, but more than anything, I just love the way things sounds when expressed in French. It seems more elegant, more romantic than English, non?
Here are a few lovely French quotes about l'amour that I'm sure you'll want to stick right up on your wall. :)
You'll find my translations below. I've come to steal a hundred million kisses from you.
– Serge Gainsbourg I'll be a poet, and you, poetry.
– François Coppée Love belongs to those who think about it.
–Marcel Achard Life is full of little happinesses.
– Unknown Love isn't just a feeling, it's also an art. Some simple word, a caution, a nothing reveals to a woman the grand and sublime artist that can touch her heart without piercing it.
– Honoré de Balzac What is love? It's when you look at the other person and smile.
– Agnès Desarthe We fall in love. And as always, when we fall, we get hurt.
– François Weyergans This one seems like a compilation of several celebrated sayings about love:
May my kisses be the words of love I don't say to you.
We forgive to the extent that we love.
I adore you.
Between two hearts that love each other, there is no need for words.
My love for you is as big as the world.
You are the light of my life. (Literally "joy of my life," but that sounds weird in English...)
You are my love.
I love you.
You are magnificent!
– Various Authors My darling.
Just a really cute, cutesy way of nicknaming your boy or girlfriend in France. :) You could also use this as a grandparent/parent to refer to your kid, or even to refer to a pet that you love a lot! <3 I love you more than chocolate mousse.
– Unknown We only see well with our hearts. The essential is invisible to the eyes.
– Antoine de Saint-Exupéry I hope you liked these beautiful quotes :) If you're a Francophile and want more, let me know! I also accept translation requests if you need help figuring out what a certain phrase means. :)
Bon journée à tous! <3 xoxo