The great folks over at Appalachian Trials put together an entire Thanksgiving spread that you can dehydrate and bring with you on the trail for a trekking Thanksgiving, but their appetizer is my favorite park! I might just start incorporating this into the food I pack for thru-hikes. Enjoy!
To make the pumpkin seeds:
1) Preheat the over to 375 degrees F.
2) Remove pumpkin seeds from a pumpkin and separate out as much of the pumpkin pulp as possible.
3) Line a baking sheet or cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray or brush lightly with olive oil. Spread the seeds in a single layer over the sheet, and sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg and ground cloves, to your taste. (Alternately, sprinkle with just salt—this is the traditional way to prepare pumpkin seeds and still my preferred way).
4) Stir and spread out in a single layer again.
5) Bake in the oven until they start to turn golden, about 10 minutes.
6) Stir halfway through.
7) Let these cool and pack in a Ziploc for a snack along the way, to give your taste buds just a hint of the feast yet to come.