4 years ago1,000+ Views
An enormous amount of thought is put into how to light a scene. There's the obvious parameters - how bright and where - but then there's all of these little things cinematographers do to trick you. A light that you see inside of a shot is called a "practical". Many times practicals will have a very small wattage bulb installed and the light you see that would normally emanate from the practical is provided by a studio/set light mounted on rails above or a stand out of frame.
1 comment
I'm just going to play devil's advocate here because I know just how much work it is to properly light a scene, but technically if the photographer or cinematographer provides the light then that light is no longer in the realm of practical lighting. I know some exceptions can be made and some would even say that flash is practical light but I was taught that practical light is light that is not explicitly supplied by the photographer for the purpose of taking photos.