Let me tell you about my friends, Tiffany and Sylvee. Back when I first met them, we were all baristas at the same cafe. We hated our customers, and all of our co-workers were kind of boring, so every so often we'd escape it all to hang out in a garage or on the couch somewhere messing with musical instruments, creating art projects, and cooking delicious food.
Many years later, Tiffany and Sylvee got married and traveled through Central America for six months, before settling in their new home in Oakland, California. They waited tables and worked in the kitchens of various restaurants, but in time, they left it all to start their very own vegan tamale catering company, Hella Vegan Eats.
Today, Hella Vegan Eats has become one of the most popular food trucks in the San Francisco area, offering anything from vegan chicken and waffles to tofu banh mi. So much so, that Tiffany and Sylvee recently made Zagat San Francisco's 30 Under 30 list for their innovative recipes and ability to win the hearts (and stomachs) of the Bay's most stubborn carnivores.
With this holiday season in mind, Hella Vegan Eats have decided to share their favorite biscuit recipe. It's quick and simple and can be easily made with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen!
Vegan Garlic Chive Biscuits
4 cups flour
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp finely ground pepper
1 small bunch of finely chopped garlic chives
1 cup of rice bran oil (or vegan butter)
1 - 1 1/2 cups of nondairy milk (or water)
1. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic, and chives.
2. Fold in the rice bran oil (or vegan butter) until the mix is crumbly Then add the milk or water.
3. Kneed or mix until your dough is buttery and smooth.
4. Sprinkle some flour on your counter and roll out the dough to about 1 inch thickness.
5. Use your favorite cutter to make the biscuits and place on oiled baking sheet.
6. Brush or spray on oil on top and bake in center of oven for 10 to 12 minutes depending on size. These will last for 3 days in the fridge or a month in the freezer!