1 & 3/4 cup (190g) sliced blanched almonds
3 tbsp (25g) gluten-free all-purpose flour (or other flour)
1 tbsp orange zest
1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
1/2 cup (85g) coconut sugar (or cane sugar or Sucanat)
1/4 cup (40g) non-dairy buttery spread
2 tbsp brown rice syrup
2 tbsp full-fat canned coconut milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4-1/3 cup dark chocolate, melted
1/2 tsp coconut oil
Confectioner’s sugar/icing sugar, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 275F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Finely chop sliced almonds and place in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the rest of the dry ingredients (flour, orange zest, salt, sugar).
3. In a medium-sized pot, add the wet ingredients (non-dairy butter, brown rice syrup, coconut cream) and stir until combined. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a low boil. Immediately remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Set aside to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
5. Wet fingers and shape dough into tiny 1/2 tablespoon balls. Roll with hands into a uniform ball and place on baking sheet, at least 3 inches apart. Repeat until you can’t fit anymore on the baking sheet.
6. Bake for 10 minutes at 275F, rotate the pan, and bake for another 7-9 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the pan and then carefully transfer to cooling rack. Repeat baking process for the rest of the dough. When cookies are cool, place on paper towel and press lightly to absorb any butter on the bottom of the cookie.
7. Melt chocolate and coconut oil over low heat. Drizzle cookies with melted chocolate (a fork works fine for this) and sift with icing sugar. Chill in the freezer until hardened, Cookies also freeze well.