How to make good use of an old sweater? Instead of donating it you can make a useful gift out the old garment. Warm someone's hands this winter by giving a homemade sweater mitten.
- Knit sweater with banded hem
- Marker or chalk
- Embroidery thread and needle or sewing machine
1. Use a knit sweater your child has outgrown, or find one at a thrift store. Make sure it’s a warm knit and has a thick hem. Place hand on the sweater, with thumb outstretched.
2. Draw a template around the hand, leaving ¼-inch seam allowance.
3. Cut out the mitten shape. Use the shape as a template for remaining 3 pieces. Make sure to flip the shape on two of them so they mirror each other. Align two pieces together, with the right-sides facing in, and pin in place.
4. Sew around the edges, leaving the bottom near the hem open.