A few weeks ago, I shared a recipe for Irish Coffee (see here: http://www.vingle.net/posts/621773) with plans to make some for my family this holiday season!
On Christmas Eve, I was finally able to do so! My dad and I are the only coffee drinkers in the family, so I only made two glasses--and to be honest, I didn't really like it! If you're a coffee fan, and you don't mind the taste of alcohol, you might like this drink.
However, if you don't like the taste of whiskey, this is't the drink for you! The whiskey I used (Tellamore Dew) is very strong, so a full shot in this sized drink has a punch. You could try to lessen the amount. Or, replace the whiskey with an alcohol you do enjoy (might I recommend Kahlua?) The last option makes it completely not Irish Coffee, though!
Anyways, here's the recipe again (with the specific ingredients I used) for those who want to try it!
Preheated glass (I'm not sure of the size)
4oz of brewed coffee (I used Starbucks Ethiopia blend)
1.5oz of Tullamore Dew whiskey
1.5oz of whipping cream
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
1 single serving instant coffee
1. Preheat your glass by filling it with warm or hot water. Leave it sit in the sink or somewhere you won't knock it over while you do everything else.
2. Start your coffee brewing! If you're using a drip pot, start it now! If you're going to do pour-over or Aeropress or something like that, wait until you're finished making the whipped cream.
3. Add 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tablespoon sugar, and half of a single serve packet of instant coffee to a bowl. If the instant coffee is in big crystals, smash it with a can or something before opening the packet. Otherwise, it won't dissolve in the whipped cream!
4. Add half a container of heaving whipping cream (about 8 oz) to the bowl.
5. Get whipping!! You have to REALLY whip to get this to thicken up! Once you notice the consistency start to thicken, slow down--I whipped too hard and thus wasn't able to pour the whipped cream onto my Irish Coffee because it got too thick.
6. You can keep the whipped cream in the fridge, or, go straight to preparing the drinks!
7. Empty your cups and make sure they're a little warm. Add the brewed coffee.
8. Add 1 shot glass of whiskey (more or less to taste) to each cup.
10. Pour on the whipped cream into a layer. If you whipped too much like me, use a spoon and dollop it on--it'll melt when it touches the hot drink and spread into a layer.
11. Drink up while hot!
Enjoy, everyone! :)