So around this time last week, my sister and I were having one of those conversations that mostly everyone has in the final days before the new year.
"What do you want to do for New Year's Eve?"
"I don't know. What do you want to do?"
My sister and I are notorious for never really being able to make up our minds. Deciding on what we're having for dinner might as well be a question buried between the analogies and trigonometry section of the SATs. Needless to say, when it comes to making plans for any given holiday, it's an intense week-long brainstorming event.
This year's NYE idea: A 'Cinco de Mayo'-themed Treinta-Uno de Diciembre - or December 31st, for those of us who didn't have to suffer through high school Spanish class - complete with a build-your-own vegan nacho bar.
That's right. Vegan nachos. Build-your-own style.
Nacho bars are something that have grown increasingly popular for anything from bridal showers to Super Bowl parties. Plus it is much better than altering recipes for people who don't care for certain ingredients!
Vegan Build-Your-Own Nacho Bar
What You'll Need:
Party plates, napkins
Small bowls for each ingredient
Serving spoons for each ingredient
Low-tack labels, optional
No-Cheese Nacho Cheese Sauce:
3/4 - 1 cup of non-dairy milk (We used soymilk.)
2 cups of Daiya Cheddar Shreds
1. Put a small sauce pan on medium heat.
2. Add the shreds and milk to the sauce pan, constantly stirring until all of the shreds have melted.
Pico de Gallo:
3 small tomatoes, diced
1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 lime, juiced
Cilantro, finely chopped
Salt to taste
1. Combine tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro and squeezed lime juice.
2. Add salt to taste, and let sit in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to meld all of the flavor.
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small tomato, chopped
1 lime, juiced
salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel and mash avocados in a medium serving bowl. Stir in onion, garlic, tomato, lime juice, salt and pepper.
2. Season with remaining lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Chill for half an hour to blend flavors.
Ingredients: (These ingredients will make about 6 - 7 servings. Feel free to adjust amounts based on attendance.)
2 bags tortilla chips
7 oz. can of jalapeños
3 oz. can of sliced black olives
1 tub of Tofutti brand Better Than Sour Cream (or any other vegan sour cream substitute)
1 can of lard-free refried beans
1/2 cup of green onions, chopped
1 package of Smart Ground Mexican Style, Beyond Meat Ground Beef, Soyrizo, Trader Joe's Beefless Ground Beef, or Gardein Beefless Ground
1. Label each bowl with which ingredient it is for guests. Make sure that you label the hot sauce, salsa, and guacamole with what spice level it is for your less-daring friends and family.
2. Place each ingredient in its respective bowl, placing it with its appropriate serving spoon.
3. Give each guest a plate full of tortilla chips and let them have at it! Enjoy!