The Ultimate List of Vegan/Vegetarian Egg Replacements
Whether you're a vegan, have an egg allergy, or simply don't have any eggs ready in your fridge, there are actually countless of egg substitution options for whatever you're trying to whip up in the kitchen. From leavening zucchini bread to adding a little moisture to your chocolate chip cookies, this super list features 20 different egg alternatives suited for whatever recipe you'd need it for!
(Note: The replacements listed are measured to be equivalent to one egg. Double or triple up if you need to!)
- Baking Soda: Mix 2 teaspoons of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of warm water
- Flax Seed + Baking Powder: Mix 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed and 1/8 teaspoon baking powder with water. Let it sit for ten minutes before using.
- Yeast: Dissolve 1 teaspoon of yeast with 1/4 cup of warm water.
- Carbonated Water: Replace 1/4 cup of the recipe's liquid with carbonated water for each egg removed.
- Coconut milk: Mix 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons full fat coconut milk with 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- Baking Powder + Apple Cider Vinegar: Dissolve 1 teaspoon of baking powder with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Baking Powder + Banana: Mash 1/2 a banana and mix in a 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder.
BINDING & MOISTURE REPLACEMENTS
- Flax Seed: Dissolve 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed in 3 tablespoons of hot water. Let stand for ten minutes.
- Corn Starch: Mix 1 tablespoon of water into 2 tablespoons of corn starch.
- Avocado: Mash 1/4 cup of avocado.
- Apple Sauce & Other Fruit Purees: Use 1/4 cup of apple sauce (or apricot, prune, pumpkin, or squash puree).
- Vegetable Purees: Use 1/4 cup cooked or canned pumpkin, sweet potato, or beets.
- Banana: Mash 1/2 of a banana.
- Tofu: Use 1/4 cup of silken tofu.
- Cooking Oil: Combine 3 tablespoons of oil with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Vegan Mayo: Use 3 tablespoons of vegan mayonnaise.
- Flour: Mix 1 teaspoon of flour into 1 tablespoon of water.
- Nut Butters: Use 3 tablespoons of peanut, almond, cashew, or equal consistency nut butter.
- Arrowroot: Mix 2 tablespoons with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Beans: Mash 3 tablespoons of beans.