More than 90% of young adults suffer with acne and it affects them into their 20s and 30s. In order to combat acne you need to understand how severe your acne is and what cause it.
If you look at the graph I put together above acne is caused by overproduction of oil by enlarged oil glands in the skin. When the hair follicles are blocked it release oil and growth of bacteria within the follicles.
There are 5 types of acne characteristics:
1. Seborrhea: scaly red skin
2. Comedones: blackheads and whiteheads
3. Papules: pinheads
4. Pustules: pimples
5. Nodules: large papules
Acne stages and severity:
1. Mild Acne
These can be spot on lower part of face (around mouth, jaw and neck) and also highest contraction sebaceous gland spots (neck, upper back and chest)
- Don't pick at it because it might cause scarring.
- Wash twice a day - Over washing will aggravate your spots.
- Choose oil-free cosmetics
2. Moderate to Severe Acne
These are visibly more inflammatory spots such as papules and pustules, with many more nodules, and non-inflammatory comedones.
- Adapt plan for mild-acne.
- Also use topical treatments such as salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide and glycolic acid. Make sure to do spot test before using it applying it on face. People with sensitive skin should not use products with benzoyl peroxide.
- As a typical rule: cleanse, tone, moisturize, then apply topical treatment.
3. Severe Acne
These are generally deep, painful cysts caused by inflammation from papules, pustules and nodules. The skin surface is always irregular and you may experience under the skin pimple.
- Try to decrease the amount of bacteria on the skin by keeping hair, hand and makeup off face.
- Stick with a cleansing system (cleanse, tone, moisturize, topical treatment)
- Weekly use a clay mask or natural DIY mask to reduce the production of sebum and prevent follicles from becoming clogged.
I hope this was an useful introduction for acne. I will follow up with this topic with DIY masks that combats acne for different skin types, so keep an eye out for that card.