Here are 5 simple steps to a perfect headstand! I also attached an 8-step video for further instruction :)
Before you begin!
It’s important to warm up all of the muscles in the body that are used in this posture. Try the following:
• downward facing dog
• shoulder openers
• hamstring stretches
1. Use a sticky mat and on your hands and knees, bring the crown of your head to the ground. With your palms flat and near your head, bring your hands away from your face. Your forearms should now be perpendicular to the ground. Lift your knees up and walk your feet in. Stay here for 5-20 breaths.
2. When your feet are in as close as possible, try bringing each knee, one at a time, to rest on top of your triceps. Stay here for 5-20 breaths.
3. In this position, engage your abs and float the knees off your triceps, bring your knees to touch and keep your legs bent, with your heels near your butt. Stay here for 5-20 breaths.
4. With your knees and big toes touching, roll your bent legs slowly upwards, until your knees are pointing up to the ceiling. Stay 5-20 breaths.
5. Finally, extend your legs straight up into the air. Seal the inner legs together. Hold for as long as you can, then come down slowly, the exact same way you rolled up!