1. Mix together lemon juice and soapy water.
- Mix 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice with 1 cup (250 ml) warm water and 1 to 2 Tbsp (15 to 30 ml) gentle liquid soap in a plastic or glass bowl.
- Soak your nails in this mixture for 5 minutes.
- Rinse your nails with running water when done, and apply a lotion or moisturizing cream to prevent your skin from drying out too severely.
2. Dilute a little white vinegar.
- Pour 1 cup (250 ml) of warm water into a bowl and add 1 tsp to 1 Tbsp (5 to 15 ml) of distilled white vinegar.
- Soak your nails in this mixture for 8 minutes.
- When done, rinse your nails under lukewarm, running water and pat dry. Apply a lotion to your skin to prevent it from drying out.
3. Prepare a baking soda paste.
- Combine 1 Tbsp (15 ml) of 3% hydrogen peroxide with 2 1/2 Tbsp (37.5 ml) baking soda in a small bowl or dish Stir with a spoon or chopstick until the two ingredients are thoroughly combined into a paste.
- Using a cotton swab, apply the paste over the top of each nail and under the tip of each nail. Cover all the nails on one hand.
- Wait for three minutes before rinsing the paste off your nails with warm water. Repeat with your other hand.
4. Scrub your nails with whitening toothpaste.
- Apply the toothpaste to each nail, using a pea-sized dollop or less for each.
- Rub the toothpaste into your nails using a nail brush or an old toothbrush.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Repeat this treatment a few times weekly for notably whiter nails.
5. Rub lemon juice onto your nails.
- Dip a cotton swab or cotton ball into lemon juice and thoroughly rub it over your nails. Let it sit on your nails for 10 to 30 minutes before rinsing your hands with warm water.