2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (You'll need about 6 cups chopped 1/2 inch fry wedges)
FOR THE CHILI
FOR THE CHEESE
Vegan sour cream, green onions, parsley, hot sauce (I only added hot sauce and some parsley)
Please note in the directions of making the chili, you will be adding spices at 2 separate times since you are adding water 2 separate times. This is important to layer the flavors this way.
1. First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a large sheet pan with parchment paper to prevent sticking. No oil is needed! Rinse (don't peel) and chop your potatoes into 1/2 inch wedges. Spread them out evenly on the pan, being careful not to overlap them. Salt and pepper very generously and bake for 30-35 minutes until very golden brown. I did mine for 34 minutes. Then, for extra crispiness, turn on your broiler for 1-2 minutes. Watch closely.
2. To prepare the chili, add all of the ingredients (except the beans and nutritional yeast) listed under "Chili" to a large pan and stir well. Bring to a boil, once it's boiling, turn to medium heat and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring a couple of times during. At the end of the ten minutes, all of the water should be gone. Mine took exactly 10 minutes.
3. While the veggies are cooking, roughly mash the beans with a fork, leaving some whole. After the 10 minutes is up for the veggies, add the beans and another 1/2 cup of water, 2 teaspoons chili powder and 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast. Adding these at the 2nd part of cooking enhances the flavor, since you are adding more water. Heat through just until thickened. Turn off the heat. Taste and add any more salt or seasoning. I didn't add anything extra. If you want your chili more soupy, add more water, but you may need more spice then. I like mine chunky.
4. Add 1/2 cup of the above chili mixture to a food processor with the remaining "cheese" ingredients. Blend until completely smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. I didn't add anything else.
5. Serve the chili over the fries and drizzle some cheese on top. I then added a bit of parsley on top, although I will do green onions next time. Add vegan sour cream, tomatoes or any other toppings you like. I added some hot sauce and oh boy, it took it over the top!