This recipe is inspired by a video I recently watched put out by Southern Living that pretty much makes the same exact dish but with a whole lot of eggs, dairy, white flour, and red food coloring. I figured, hey, this would be an extremely easy breakfast to 'healthify' and 'veganize' for my Vegan Vinglers, so let's get ready to surprise our loved ones with this seriously adorable heart-shaped shortstack!
Vegan Red Velvet 'Heartbeet' Pancakes
(Serves 2 - 3)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup pureed cooked beets (Yeah, that's right. And you thought that was food coloring.)
1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp maple syrup
An empty squeeze bottle to hold the batter
1) Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. In a food processor or (very carefully) in a blender, combine all above ingredients and process until just blended and pour as much as you can into your squeeze bottle. (It's important that the consistency isn't too runny!)
2) Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat and add a little coconut oil or pan spray to coat the bottom.
3) Once hot, draw the outline of a heart on the pan and carefully 'fill in' the heart until there are no gaps. Let the pancake cook for about 2-3 minutes on the first side until set and starting to brown, then flip with a spatula and cook another 2-3 minutes on the other side.
4) When cooked, place on a plate and keep warm in the oven while you repeat the process with the remaining pancakes.
5) To serve, top with coconut cream, fresh fruit and powdered sugar, or maple syrup and a pat of vegan butter spread!