So by now, if you're been following my Valentine's Day Vegan Recipe collection, you certainly have your desserts covered. Between chocolate-caramel cheesecake, pink and red rice krispy pops, and my (low GI & diabetic-friendly!) raw strawberry mousse cake, I hope I have given you all plenty of simple and delicious ideas.
But you have to make other meals too, right?
This week, right up until 2/14, I will be highlighting recipes that are perfectly suited for romantic breakfasts-in-bed and dinner dates. Feel free to create a card sharing your own recipe ideas too! Our vegan (especially vegan baking) community is so creative, and I know you all probably have some good ones up your sleeves.
Heart-Shaped Cinnamon Rolls
(Makes a dozen)
For the Whole Wheat Bun Dough:
1 1/2 tablespoons quick-rise yeast
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup Earth Balance or other vegan margarine
1 cup unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup warm water
4 cups whole wheat flour, divided
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Cinnamon/Sugar Filling:
1/4 cup Earth Balance Margarine, softened or other non-dairy margarine
2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, as much as you like
1) Preheat the oven to 350F, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2) Place the yeast and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
3) Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in the milk and vanilla and continue to whisk until warm. Add the water to the saucepan as well and then pour over the yeast and sugar in the large mixing bowl.
4) Whisk in two cups of the flour to the yeast/milk mixture, then add the baking powder, sea salt and remaining two cups of the flour and stir with a wooden spoon, until combined and a nice dough forms.
5) Lightly knead the dough in the bowl a few times and then cover and let rise in a warm place for 10-20 minutes.
6) Once the dough has risen, punch it down and place it onto a large surface that is lightly sprinkled with some whole wheat flour.
7) Roll the dough out into a large rectangle (roughly 1 1/2 ft x 1 ft).
8) Spread the margarine evenly onto the rolled out dough with a spatula. 9) Sprinkle on the brown sugar and cinnamon. 10) Use a pizza slicer to slice the dough width-wise into twelve equal strips.
11) Roll each strip halfway on both side, meeting in the middle. (This is where the fun begins). 12) Take the cinnamon roll in your hands and gently twist and pinch the middle of the dough to form the bottom of your heart. 13) Place the finished heart-shaped bun onto the baking sheet and press down slightly. Make sure to leave a little space between each bun, as they will rise when baking. Repeat to make 12 cinnamon buns. (You can of course just make these into regular buns as well).
14) Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy warm from the oven!