In 1913 Maybelline's first cosmetic mascara was advertised--consisting of just petroleum jelly and kohl. And judging by the looks of it, this is something we can all make at home. Does that 1913 brush look like a toothbrush? With a little help from Youtube makeup personality, Sofia, from her SofiaStyled channel, we can all learn how to DIY this thang!
Watch this awesome tutorial by Sofia to make this Maybelline-inspired DIY mascara.
1. Start with 2 Tablespoons of slivered almonds to a pan and burn them carefully.
2. Crush the burnt almonds. You can use a mortar & pestle or a coffee grinder.
3. Add 1/2 teaspoon of kitty litter.
4. Add 1/2 teaspoon of petroleum jelly.
5. Stir thoroughly. This is the time to play with consistency*.
6. Store in a clean and sterilized container. Old mascara tubes are not recommended.
* Consistency is all personal preference. If you are looking for volume in your lashes, then do not crush almonds to a complete powder. If you want something definition, crush almonds to a fine powder.