A lot of recipes I have been posting lately have called for some sort of vegan sour cream. Typically, you should be able to find a prepackaged vegan sour cream in the refrigerated section of your natural food store - particularly Tofutti's Sour Supreme or Follow Your Heart's Vegan Gourmet Sour Cream. However, these can be a little costly if you're using them as a major ingredient and not just a quick topping to your baked potato. (They can also be a little tricky to find if you don't have a nearby Whole Foods equivalent!)
Here are two simple and completely delicious recipes for vegan sour cream that you can whip up in your kitchen. One uses silken tofu while the other uses coconut cream. Next time you throw together your famous 5-layer dip, keep these in mind!
Coconut Milk Sour Cream
(Makes 1 - 3 cups)
2 cans coconut milk, chilled
1 teaspoon probiotic powder (You can also culture your sour cream with citric acid. You can buy Vitamin C powder in the health/supplements section of most supermarkets, including Trader Joe's.)
A pinch sea salt
1) Place the two cans of coconut milk in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Then open the cans and scoop off the thick white cream at the top. Pour off the water into a jar. (Don't worry. You can use it to make smoothies!)
2) Heat the coconut cream in a small saucepan over the lowest heat to about 97 - 98 degrees F. Then remove pan from stove and whisk in probiotic (or Vitamin C) powder. Pour into a clean quart jar, cover with a clean dishtowel secured with a rubber band.
3) Let the jar sit out for about 24 to 48 hours on your kitchen counter to culture. Then stir in a pinch or two of sea salt, cover jar with a lid, and place into the refrigerator to solidify. Use as desired.
Tofu Sour Cream
(Makes 2 cups)
16 ounces silken extra firm tofu
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon brown rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
Pinch of sea salt
1) In a food processor, combine tofu, oil, lemon juice, brown rice vinegar, and salt.
2) Process until smooth.
3) For a zestier sour cream for Mexican recipes, add a tablespoon of taco seasoning and pulse to combine. Use as desired.