I'm sorry that I lied to you in that recipe title, but don't calorie-free doughnuts sound like the best thing ever? I'm sorry I can't take the calories out of these, but I've already taken out the eggs, milk, and butter. That's good enough, right? (These fritters are best enjoyed with coffee, preferably while you're still in your pajamas.)
Vegan Apple Fritters
(Makes 12 doughnuts)
1 cup cake flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1 1/2 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup tart baking apples, peeled and chopped (I recommend Granny Smith or Honeycrisp.)
Oil for frying
Powdered sugar (for dusting)
1) Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
2) In a medium bowl, combine flaxseeds, milk, margarine, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Gently stir in apples. Do not overmix.
3) In a large, deep saute pan over medium high, bring about an inch of oil to 360F.
4) Carefully drop batter by heaping tablespoonful into oil, frying until golden brown on each side, about 4 - 5 minutes.
5) Drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.