Apparently I was living inside a cave all these years. A friend just introduced me to the best coffee smoothie I've ever tried. The little black tapioca aka "boba" or "pearl" is chewy and addicting. Whoever thought of such combination is pure genius. I'm sold. Unfortunately, the closest boba shop is a 40 minute drive. The solution: Make it yourself. I owe this to the Little Kitchen.
1 shot of espresso
2 Tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
3 cups ice
1/2 cup dried black boba (tapioca pearls); if making one drink use 1/4 to 1/3 cup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1. Start by making the espresso and allow to cool.
2. Proceed to make boba (video demonstration below).
3. When boba is done add it to two glasses.
4. Add espresso to a measuring cup and add enough water to make 1 1/2 cups. Add sweetened condensed milk and mix thoroughly. Add to blender with ice and blend until smooth.
5. Pour coffee smoothie over boba and serve with boba straws.
How to make boba?
1. Bring a pot of boiling water (at least 5 cups) and then add boba (tapioca pearls), stir every so often. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and allow the boba to sit in the pot for about 10 minutes.
2. While you're bringing the water to a boil, in a smaller separate pot, add sugar (you can use a mix or all light brown sugar) and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 5 minutes, until reduced. Mix every so often.
3. Using a slotted spoon, add the cooked boba to the sugar water and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.