Tofu Benedict with Soy Chorizo & Vegan Hollandaise Sauce
Yes, this Tofu Benedict recipe is as delicious as it looks. And with its Southernwestern-style twist, it might actually be better than an original plate of Eggs Bennie. Serve this alongside some home fries, and you've got yourself a pretty epic breakfast!
Chorizo Tofu Benedict
(Makes 4 servings)
1 teaspoon oil
1 small yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
Vegan chorizo, crumbled (store-bought or homemade)
350g firm tofu, slightly pressed
Hollandaise sauce (see recipe below)
1 avocado, halved, pit removed and cut into slices
1/4 teaspoon salt, depending on how salty your broth powder is
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/4 cup green onion, sliced
1) Combine all the marinade ingredients (besides oil) in an 8×8 inch pan. Slice the tofu in half lengthwise and then slice eat piece in half through the thin side, so you have 4 even blocks. Cover the tofu in the marinade, cover and set aside to marinate for 1 hour or up to overnight.
2) When tofu is finished marinating, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a medium heavy-bottomed skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes, add garlic, cook for 1 minute more. Add the chorizo and cook until nicely browed. Set aside but keep warm.
3) Wipe out skillet, set over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add tofu slices and cook each side until evenly browned, about 10 to 15 minutes.
4) For the hollandaise sauce, whisk together the milk, cornstarch, turmeric and broth powder set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil and shallots. Cook for a few minutes, then add the white wine and vinegar. Cook until reduce then add the milk to the pan, whisk frequently until the sauce thickens, about 5 to 7 minutes. Once thickened, whisk in the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt and chipotle powder. Fold in the green onions.
5) To plate: Take one half of an English muffin, top with chorizo, followed by a tofu slice and then avocado slices. Top with hollandaise sauce and sprinkle with green onions and additional chipotle powder is desired.