Make Your St. Patrick's Day Irish Soda Bread with a Vegan Twist!
I don't eat that much bread, but I LOVE Irish Soda Bread. When it's freshly toasted, it has an incredible flavor and pairs perfectly with a number of different spread options. The following is a recipe for vegan-style Irish Soda Bread, a non-traditional take on a traditional treat!
Vegan Irish Soda Bread
(Makes 1 loaf)
2 tablespoons ground flax
6 tablespoons water
3/4 cup plain soymilk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoons Earth Balance
3/4 cup dried currants
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1) Preheat oven to 375 F and grease a loaf pan.
2) In a small cup, stir together flax and water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
3) In a small bowl, combine the soy milk and vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes.In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Cut in the vegan margarine.
4) Add flax mixture to the soymilk mixture and whisk together. Add soymilk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
5) Stir in currants and caraway seeds and transfer to the prepared loaf pan.
6) Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then invert onto a wire rack or cutting board. Serve warm.