Spanokopita - also known as Greek spinach pie - is one of my favorite meals of all time. Usually, it is made with feta cheese, and if you are able to get your hands on vegan feta cheese, feel free to add it to the mixture, but this recipe replaces them with the equally salty-sour flavor combination of chickpeas and kalamata olives. Your taste buds won't even miss it!
(Makes 6 - 8 servings)
12 sheets phyllo dough
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup green onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15) oz can no or low sodium garbanzo beans, drained and mashed
2 (10) oz packages frozen cut spinach, thawed
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
⅓ cup kalamata olives, chopped
⅓ cup tahini
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tbsp fresh oregano, minced
2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
Black pepper, to taste
To Make the Flaxseed Mixture -
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tbsp flax seed meal
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9x9 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2) Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, green onion, garlic and two tablespoons water. Water sauté on medium-low for 5 minutes, adding a tablespoon of water when necessary to prevent sticking, until onions are translucent.
3) Add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes, or until excess water has evaporated. While spinach is cooking, add remaining lemon juice, maple syrup and flaxseed meal to a small bowl. Stir to combine, set aside and allow to thicken. Add the remaining ingredients, except the phylllo dough, and cook an additional 5 minutes on medium to medium-low heat. Remove from heat and set aside. Allow to cool slightly.
4) Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on the bottom of the baking dish. Lightly brush sheet with the flaxseed mixture using a small pastry brush. Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with flaxseed mixture, and repeat process with 4 more sheets of phyllo. Spread spinach mixture into pan, then layer remaining 6 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with flaxseed mixture.
5) Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve while hot.