I usually pass on veggie burger, not a big fan of the typical garden patty or mushroom-filling. However, this sweet potato black bean burger made the cut. My friend made me this hearty and taste-satisfying burger this past Sunday and I think I feel in love with it. Perhaps it's the sweet potato or the savory black beans. Whatever it is I'm making my own this week. If you want to join the fun scroll down for recipe.
10 items only! Yeah, pretty amazing. You can take out whatever you dislike.
The Main Stuff
2 cups mashed sweet potato
1 cup cooked salted black beans, rinsed and well drained (if unsalted, add more salt to the burgers)
1 - 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice* (or sub cooked quinoa with varied results)
1/2 cup walnut or pecan meal (or very finely chopped)
1/2 cup finely diced green onion
2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper (to taste)
1/4 tsp chipotle powder (optional)
1 Tbsp brown sugar (optional; for added sweetness)
Sprouts, lettuce or parsley
Whiskey BBQ Ketchup
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop up the potatoes, run olive oil on a foiled baking sheet, and bake the potatoes until soft and tender (about 30 mins). 2. While potatoes are baking cook rice or quinoa.
3. Add black beans to a mixing bowl. Mash half of the portion for texture. Then add mashed sweet potato, 1 cup rice, green onion and the rest of the seasonings. Mixture should be very moist at this point.
4. Lightly grease a baking sheet and line a 1/4 cup measuring cup with plastic wrap.
5. Fill the lined measuring cup with mixture. Transfer it to the baking sheet and gently press down to mash. The thinner you press them the faster they'll cook.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Take it out and start assembling your burger. Top it with desire ingredients!