Ice Cream is my vice, especially mint chocolate chip. But did you know that you can make VEGAN, NON-DAIRY ice cream at home--WITHOUT A MACHINE?!?!?! You've got to try this.
The secret to this recipe is Coconut Milk.
1 can (13.5 oz) full fat coconut milk
⅔ cups sugar
2 cans (13.5 oz each) full fat coconut milk
2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1. Chill 2 cans of coconut milk in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, best overnight.
2. Empty the contents of other 1 cans of coconut milk into a saucepan. Add the sugar and bring to a simmer, stir once and gently simmer for 30 minutes, or until the milk is thick and has reduced by half (After about 10 minutes, you'll notice that the milk will start to turn a golden color – that's ok and is exactly what's supposed to happen.) Remove from heat and let cool completely.
3. Open the 2 cans of chilled coconut milk. The cream should have risen to the top. Carefully scoop the cream into a mixing bowl. (Reserve the water below to use in a smoothie.) With an electric beater, whip up the coconut cream on high speed until it's light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the condensed coconut milk and whip on high speed for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Transfer to a lidded container and freeze for 4 hours or overnight. This ice cream does freeze harder than my other so just give it a few minutes at room temperature to make it easier to scoop.
Vanilla Ice Cream * Mix together 2 Cups ice cream base, 1 tsp of vanilla extract and seeds from ½ vanilla pod
Chocolate and Almond Ice Cream * Mix together 1 ¾ cups ice cream base with 3 tbsp of cocoa powder and ⅓ cup toasted almonds
Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream* Mix together 2 cups ice cream base with 2 tbsp of raspberry puree*For the puree, blend 1/2 cup of fruit and 2 tablespoon of sugar
Pina Colada Ice Cream * Mix together 2 cups ice cream base with ½ cup of pineapple puree*For the puree, blend 1/2 cup of fruit and 2 tablespoon of sugar
Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream* Mix together 2 cups ice cream base with 1 ¼ tsp tbsp of matcha green tea powder* You can find Matcha Green Tea Powder in many grocery stores.