I worked at Starbucks for a pretty long time, and while a lot of other pastries sort of came and went, it seemed that their Iced Lemon Pound Cake was one of the tried-and-true staples of the cafe's offerings. With this recipe, you can make the same exact loaf at home, but now 100% vegan, making this cost-effective copycat recipe all the smarter of a choice!
Starbucks' Lemon Loaf - Veganized!
(Makes 12 slices)
For the Pound Cake:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 egg equivalents of Ener-G Egg Replacer
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Earth Balance, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
zest of one lemon
For the Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons soy creamer, vanilla or plain
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan; set aside.
2) Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3) In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla extract, lemon and vanilla extracts and lemon juice with an electric mixer until just blended.
4) Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and blend until smooth. Add oil and lemon zest and mix well.
5) Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick entered in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6) For the glaze, beat together all ingredients with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Drizzle over cooled loaf.