Part blueberry muffin, part blueberry crisp, these bars are as delicious as they are versatile. Are they breakfast or are they dessert? I'll let you decide. (Or, really, why choose?!)
Vegan Blueberry Crumble Bars
(From "Vegan Junk Food")
MAKES 8 - 10 BARS
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
1/4 cup water
3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup Earth Balance (What on Earth is Earth Balance?)
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup sugar (separate from that first 1 cup)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Use a 9" x 13" baking pan with foil, lightly greased.
2) In a small bowl, combine flaxseeds and water; set aside.
3) In a mixture or by hand, combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and margarine until evenly combined and crumbly.
4) Press half the crumble mixture into prepared pan.
5) In a medium bowl, mix together the berries, lemon zest, sugar, and cornstarch. Spoon on top of crust. Top with the remainder of crumble mixture.
6) Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until crumble is lightly browned.
7) Cool completely. Use foil to lift crumble out of pan and cut into bars.