FOR THE SPONGE CAKE:
1 cup / 120g all-purpose flour
0.5 cup / 60g cornstarch
6 large eggs, separated
1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¾ cup / 170g sugar
pinch of salt
FOR THE CHEESECAKE FILLINGS:
3 cups fresh strawberries
1 tablespoon sugar
1 lb / 450g nonfat greek yogurt
8 oz / 250g / one package cream cheese
1.5 cup / 180g powdered sugar
2.5 packs gelatin
¾ cup water
6 oz / 180-200g white chocolate
You also need three 6-inch cheesecake pans and one 11 x 17 inch baking sheet, as well as a 6 inch cookies cutter.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and butter your 11 x 17 baking sheet. Beat egg yolks, vanilla, and sugar on high speed in your stand mixer until thick and pale, about 3 minutes.
- Combine the egg whites and salt in a separate bowl and beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 1½ minutes.
- With the mixer running, slowly add the remaining 6 tablespoons sugar. Continue beating until stiff and glossy, about 1 minute.
- Fold the egg-white mixture into the egg-yolk mixture. Then fold in the flour and cornstarch in three additions.
- Pour the batter onto the baking sheet and bake until light golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Let the cake cool down for at least 15 minutes and then cut out 2 circles with the cookie cutter, and 2 half circles (You will have to stick them together later).
- Start with roasting the strawberries. Spread the washed strawberries on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar on top.
- Bake at 350°F / 180°C for about 20 minutes until strawberries are soft. Transfer them into a blender and puree.
- Combine the Greek yogurt and the cream cheese in the bowl of your stand mixer and mix on medium-high speed until well combined.
- Spoon out 1 cup and set aside.
- Mix in the strawberry puree and sift in the powdered sugar, continue to mix on low speed until well combined.
WHITE CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler. Once it's melted and cooled down a little bit, mix it into the reserved cup of yogurt-cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over ¾ cup of water and let it dissolve. Then slowly warm up the gelatin on your stove over low heat for about 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the gelatin into the white chocolate filling and the rest into the strawberry mix. Stir until well combined.
- Line the sides of each cheesecake pan with parchment paper. Put the sponge cake circles on the bottom of each pan.
- Divide the white chocolate cheesecake filling on top of the sponge cakes and even it out.
- Put the pan in your freezer for just 10 minutes to let the layers set.
- Then divide the strawberry cheesecake filling amongst the pans and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Once the cakes are set and firm, stack them on top of each other and garnish with fresh strawberries!