Want to be able to get your own vegan feta cheese without having to drop $8 at Whole Foods? It's totally doable, and the easiest way to dress up your salads to make them a little less boring and a lot more awesome!
In fact, scroll to the bottom of this card to find a number of recipes you can easily sub this almond-based feta 'cheese' in, and enjoy the delicious results.
1) Rinse almonds in cold water. Place in a large bowl and add water to cover by 3 inches. Cover and let stand overnight.
2) Drain and rinse the almonds. Discard water. Transfer almonds to a food processor. Add 1/2 cup water, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt. Cover and process for 5 or 6 minutes until pureed.
3) Line a large strainer with four layers of cheesecloth and place over a large bowl. Pour almond mixture into prepared cheesecloth. Bring up corners of cheesecloth and tie to form a bag. Refrigerate in fridge overnight.
4) Squeeze out liquid. Remove cheesecloth and discard liquid in bowl. Transfer ball to parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten into a disk around 6 inches in diameter.
5) Bake at 200°F for 35-40 minutes until firm. Do not let it brown. Let cool then refrigerate until chilled.
Recommended Recipes: (Swap plain feta with this almond feta for 100% vegan recipes!)