Actress Alicia Silverstone is one of the coolest celebrity vegans out there. She became vegan in 1998 and has since dedicated much of her time and 'star power' to the cause. Her cruelty-free lifestyle blog, The Kind Life, is constantly updated with vegan recipes, natural home remedies, and even holistic advice for pregnant women and first-time mothers.
The daughter of British immigrants, Alicia knows a thing or two about a traditional English breakfast, and recently, was able to share how she makes her own vegan version when her parents come to visit. As a fan of international foods, I think this is a really awesome recipe - and would go great with a warm cup of tea!
Vegan English Breakfast
MAKES 2 SERVINGS
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Earth Balance butter
8 button mushrooms, halved
1/2 bunch kale or spinach
1 can vegetarian Heinz baked beans
4 slices French baguette (Alicia recommends sourdough.)
2 slices vegan Cheddar cheese (optional)
1) Preheat your broiler.
2) Cut the tomato in half. Sprinkle the cut surfaces with a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper, then top with a small amount of butter. Arrange the tomato halves on a baking sheet, cut sides up, and slide under the broiler for 3 to 6 minutes or until bubbly. Remove the tomato halves from the broiler, but leave the broiler on.
3) Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or until cooked through but still firm. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4) Heat water in a steamer to boiling, then steam the greens just until tender, 4 minutes for kale and 2 minutes for spinach. While the greens cook, heat the beans in a saucepan.
5) Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet, and place the baking sheet under the broiler for 1 minute. Flip the bread slices, top 2 with a slice of cheese, and return to the broiler until the bread is golden and the cheese melts. Butter the other 2 pieces of toast, if you like. (According to Alicia, "You should be sort of dancing between all of these steps, as you want to keep everything warm and have it all ready at the same time.")
6) Place the pieces of toast on each of the serving plates and top each slice with a few mushrooms, some kale or spinach, and a tomato half. Ladle the baked beans on top of the toast. Eat it all together. Delicious.