I love this recipe because it looks like real bistro food except you don't actually have to leave your house to enjoy it! Serve this at your next dinner party to wow your dinner guests, or cook it up as a side to a halved tomato and vegan mozzarella panini for a healthy meal that even your kids will love.
Minted Pea Soup with Cashew Cream
(Adapted from Choosing Raw)
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 spring onion, chopped (or 1 small white onion, chopped)
2 shallots, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash black pepper
3 cups vegetable broth
6 cups frozen, thawed green peas
1/2 cup mint leaves
1/4 cup parsley leaves
1/2 cup cashew cream (See: Vegan DIY - Make Your Own Homemade Cashew Cream)
1/4 cup chives
1) First, make the cashew cream according to the directions on my Vegan DIY card.
2) Next, heat the olive oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and shallots. Cook until the onions are clear and soft (about 5 minutes). Add the salt, pepper and broth, and bring the broth to a simmer. Add the peas. Simmer the peas for 10 minutes.
3) Transfer the peas to a blender. Add the mint and parsley. Blend the soup until it's silky smooth.
4) Transfer the soup back to the pot. Stir in the cashew cream. Check the seasonings and adjust to taste. If the soup is a little too thick for your liking, add a splash of additional vegetable broth.
5) Divide the soup into bowls and garnish with a sprinkle of chives and a little swirl of extra cashew cream. Serve.