After completing the five-minute cardio warmup, perform the workout moving from one exercise directly to the next. Repeat the strength-training circuit two times, then cool down with the lower-body stretches.
Warmup: 5 Minutes
High Knees: Alternate legs, quickly bringing your knees to your chest.
Butt Kicker: Similar to jogging in place, bring (or "kick") your heels to your butt.
Side Shuffle: Speed is key here. In a low stance, shuffle in small steps to your right, then back to your left.
Go through these moves as fast as you feel comfortable for five minutes.
Plié Squat: 15 Reps
- Stand with your feet wide, toes pointing out. Hold your hands comfortably in front of your chest.
- Bend your knees, lowering your hips so your thighs are almost parallel with the floor. Keep your weight back in your heels and knees tracking in line with feet.
- Then rise back up, straightening the legs completely and squeezing the glutes at the top of the movement.
- Do 15 reps.
Standing Dirty Dog: 15 Reps Each Leg
- With your arms on your hips, start standing with your feet hip width apart.
- With your core engaged and a solid standing right leg, lift your left leg out to the side, squeezing your waist and hip.
- Lower the left leg down, barely touching the ground with your left toes, then lift that leg again.
- Complete 15 reps before switching legs.
Plié Squat Jump: 15 Reps
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and slightly turned out, arms resting on your hips.
- Bend your knees and plié, then jump up explosively. Keep your core engaged.
- Land with control, lowering your body back into the squat position to complete one rep.
- Do 15 reps.
Pulsing Plié Squat: 20 Pulses Up and 20 Back
- Start in second position, with your legs opened wide to the sides and your toes turned slightly outward. Placing your hands on your hips, bend your knees, going as low as you can.
- Make sure your shoulders remain directly over your hips and your knees are in line with your feet.
- While holding second position, make small pulses up and down, moving about an inch. Do 20 reps.
- Then hold at the lowest point of your squat and gently pulse the knees back a half inch for 20 reps.
Plank Leg Lifts: 10 Reps
- Place your belly on an exercise ball, and walk your hands out so the ball is underneath your shins. Your hands should be underneath your shoulders.
- Draw your navel toward your spine to engage your abs, which will help keep your spine straight and your body stabilized.
- Lift your left leg into the air, then slowly lower it onto the ball. Keeping your pelvis level, switch sides and lift the right leg. This counts as one repetition.
- Do 10 reps.
Cooldown Stretches: 5 Minutes
- Hamstrings and inner thighs: Hold the modified hurdler stretch for 30 seconds to stretch your left hamstring. Then center your torso and lean straight ahead to stretch your left inner thigh for 30 seconds.
- Switch legs, and repeat on the other side.
- Quads: Hold the kneeling quad stretch for 30 seconds on each side.
- Calves: Hold Downward Facing Dog for five deep breaths, then tread through the feet to increase the stretch.