8 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter, divided
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound fresh strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries (1 pound total, not 1 pound of each)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees with your cast iron skillet in the oven to heat up too.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a mixer, beat 6 tablespoons butter and 1 cup sugar together for about 3-4 minutest, until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix. Add in the milk and vanilla and mix. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until the flour is incorporated.
4. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the cast iron skillet to melt. Add your cake batter to the hot skillet. Arrange your berries on top. (Strawberries should be cut in half and placed cut side down.) Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Cool 20 minutes.
You can keep this cake simple by giving it a light dusting of powdered sugar before serving.
For something a little more decadent, give it a dollop of fresh whipped cream, a drizzle of glaze, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.