Without a doubt, there's definitely some recipes that helped me get through the tight budget of my college years - tacos, pasta bakes, and tofu stirfry included. But perhaps the quickest and most versatile was the pizza bagel. After all, who doesn't love pizza? This recipe (from the vegetarian lifestyle blog Happy Healthy Life) gives my finals week pizza bagel a serious 'working world' upgrade. Swapping out olives and mushrooms for basil and lemon, it's perfect for the upcoming summer, and it's an easily vegan recipe that even your kids will love!
Lemon & Basil Vegan Pizza Bagels
(Adapted from Happy Healthy Vegan)
MAKES 8 PIZZAS (4 SERVINGS)
4 bagels, sliced
6 tablespoons pizza or marinara sauce
1 tomato, thinly sliced and slices cut into quarters
A handful of fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 lemon, 1/2 of it thinly sliced - other half for the juice
4 drizzles of extra virgin olive oil
6 tablespoons vegan cheese, shredded (I recommend Daiya shreds.)
A pinch of nutritional yeast or vegan Parmesan cheese, optional
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Assemble pizzas by spreading 1 1/2 tablespoon marinara/pizza sauce on top of each bagel. Press the sauce into the bagel. Next add the cheese, tomatoes, optional nutritional yeast and red pepper flakes. Then add the lemon in a twirl on top. Drizzle olive oil on top of each pizza and also add a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice over top.
3) Place the bagel pizzas directly on top of the top rack in the oven. Place a piece of foil of bottom rack to catch any dripping liquid or oil.
4) Close oven and turn on broil setting. Allow the oven to broil the tops of the pizzas for 2 - 5 minutes -- until the cheese starts to melt and the edges brown. When cheese is melted, turn oven back to bake and bake for as long as you'd like. I usually leave them in the oven another 2-3 minutes to crisp up the bagel. I like the outsides to be crispy and browned, while the inside of the bagel stays fluffy and soft. But again, for an extra crispy bagel pizza, just bake a while longer, to taste.
5) Serve bagel pizzas warm from the oven with fresh basil on top.Add more red pepper flakes to taste