It's like second nature to reach for that muffin, bagel, or even a smoothie loaded with sugar in the mornings when you’re in a rush and simply cannot be bothered to prepare a well-balanced and nutritious breakfast. But, sitting down for 10 minutes and making yourself a bowl of oatmeal to kick-start your day will bring more long term benefits to you and here’s why:
1. Studies show oatmeal lowers cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart disease. If you’re really observant, try scaling the walls in your grocery store, and checking out brands such as Quaker or Kashi that have a little heart symbol on the box to showcase these benefits.
2. Oatmeal contains soluble fiber, which makes you feel fuller. So, if you’re looking to control your weight, this is the perfect alternative breakfast option next to that doughnut you’re been checking out on your coworkers desk.
3. Raw oats are quick, simple and easy to make. They’re old fashioned. They’re cheap to purchase. They’re organic. They’re probably sitting in your kitchen cabinet right now. Need I say more?
4. Oatmeal may reduce high blood pressure. Studies have shown that people with high blood pressure who ate soluble, fiber-rich whole grain oats on a daily basis noticed a significant dip in BP readings.
5. Oatmeal contains a wide array of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, which are all important in maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle.
6. Oatmeal reduces the risk for type 2 Diabetes and certain cancers. Again, look at the packaging on different oatmeal containers because marketing teams do a decent good job in advertising and promoting these benefits to customers.
7. It’s easy to add some excitement to your oatmeal with nuts, fruit and other spices. Get creative!