Johnny Depp is one of the greatest actors of our time and he's also a great thinker. Learn a bit from the great character actor and leading man about love, and not in a sappy way.
1. "You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can['t close your heart to the things you don't want to feel."
As much as it pains us, we don't choose who we love. It just kind of happens. We often invest in things and people that aren't worth out time, because of our love for them. If we close ourselves off to love, we will just make things harder. Instead, we should be open and try and work through the times we don't want to love, and understand them better.
2. "If someone were to harm my family, a friend, or somebody I love, I would eat them. I might end up in jail for 500 years, but I would eat them."
Johnny hits unconditional love on the head with this one. He's a nut, but he's right. We'd do anything for our loved ones, and our loyalty to them must be apparent. If you're not willing to go to the ends of the earth for someone, you probably don't love them, because love is a force and it will make you fiercely loyal and culpable to those who deserve it.
3. "If you love two people at the same time, choose the second one, because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second."
We fall in and out of love all the time. It's not good, it's not bad, it just is. And for those few moments we're considering leaving one for another, this quote becomes applicable. Why do we look elsewhere, unless we're not happy, or we're not in love?
4. "The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants."
This is by far his most cynical quote, but there is truth to it. People love for all kinds of reasons, most of them for their own gain or their own satisfaction, but pure love without any strings or money or expectations only comes from innocent places.
5. "There are four questions of value in life: What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love."
Everything we do, more or less comes out of a need for love, whether we want to impress our families with our successes, to garner love from them, or care for a significant other to show our love, most things are in service of love. So when you find it, don't take it for granted. Always support and try to show love to those who deserve it.