If you ever had really great black bean burgers (especially from scratch) you'll know freaking delicious beans are. They are so versatile, and they can replace meat in a lot of dishes. They are already packed with flavor, but with the right batch of seasonings and sauces, they can really transform a dish.
This recipe is for my vegetarians, AND meat-eaters! These meatless "meatballs" are a great alternative to your typical meatballs. And they're super filling.
Oh, and did I mention that a can of beans is cheaper than a 1lb of ground beef?
My frugal stomach is happy. ^_^
What You'll Need:
1 can of black beans
1/2 cup onions (minced)
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon of ketchup
Your favorite pasta sauce
How To Make It:
1) Rinse black beans.
2) Put beans in a large bowl and thoroughly smash beans with a fork.
3) In a pan, saute onions over medium-high heat using about a tablespoon of olive oil. Saute for about 2 minutes.
4) To the bean mixture, add onions, breadcrumbs, oats, parmesan cheese, ketchup, and whole egg. Add more breadcrumbs if necessary.
5) Form balls, squeezing tightly to help stick them together.
6) Bake black beans balls for about 15 minutes at 375 degrees.
7) Add about 2 inches of spaghetti sauce to a pan. Add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix oil and sauce. Set stove to medium-heat. Transfer balls to pan and let them simmer for about 10 minutes.