I finally got the chance to catch up with my mom this morning. For those of you who are new to the community, I mentioned in my older cards that my mom is a cosmetologist. Most of the topics here are inspired by her. During our recent conversation, she shared most of her bookings this month is for hair coloring service. Sun-kissed highlights or bronde is the most requested coloring technique. In addition, with so many people getting their hair color, one of their biggest concern is keeping their summer hair color from fading. If you want to protect your investment and minimize salon visits, here are some helpful tips to keep your color safe.
Summer Hair Coloring Aftercare
1. After coloring your hair wait 24 to 48 hours before shampooing. Also, try not to wash your hair too often following that initial wash.
2. Use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. A color enhancing shampoo is also a good product to brighten your color in between salon visits.
3. Rinse with cool water. Extremely hot water can your color, especially if the color is a vibrant shade.
4. Wear a hat or bandana when you're out in the sun for a long period of time.
5. When swimming in chlorine or salt water, leave a little conditioner or detangler with UV protectors in your hair. This will help prevent the chlorine or salt water from absorbing into your hair.
6. Think twice before using a clarifying shampoo. They are good for washing your hair after swimming but more than once a week can strip out your color.
7. Protect your hair from thermal heat and blow dryers.
If your hair color still fades after trying the above methods, talk to your hairstylist about putting on a clear gloss on your hair. This will seal and lock in your new hair color with extra shine.