I adore stuffed peppers. They're so easy to make, and perfect for when you want to go meatless – even if you live a house full of carnivores! Nobody's going to make the mistake of dismissing this satisfying vegan and gluten-free dish as rabbit food.
This recipe by Minimalist Baker uses only 10 ingredients, and takes only 10 minutes of prep time. Thanks to quinoa and black beans, it's absolutely bursting with protein and fiber, while smoky spices and salsa give it a mouthwatering, Spanish-inspired flavor.
Spanish Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Prep Time: 10 min. Cook Time: 65 min. Difficulty: Easy.
Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker
1 cup (168 g) quinoa or rice, thoroughly rinsed and drained
2 cups (460 ml) vegetable stock (sub water, but it will be less flavorful)
4 large red, yellow or orange bell peppers, halved, seeds removed
1/2 cup (120 g) salsa, plus more for serving
1 Tbsp (4 g) nutritional yeast (optional)
2 tsp cumin powder
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 15-ounce (425 g) can black beans, drained (if unsalted, add 1/4 tsp sea salt)
1 cup (168 g) whole kernel corn, drained
1 ripe avocado, sliced
Fresh lime juice
Diced red onion
Chipotle Red Salsa (or your favorite salsa)
1. Place rinsed quinoa in a saucepan. Toast over medium heat until quinoa is fragrant and makes a continuous popping sound. Add vegetable stock and raise heat to high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9x13 glass baking dish. Brush pepper halves with a neutral, high heat oil, such as grape seed, avocado or refined coconut.
3. Place cooked quinoa in a large mixing bowl. Add salsa, yeast, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, black beans, and corn. Mix. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
4. Stuff halved peppers with a generous helping of the quinoa mixture, then cover the dish with foil. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove foil, increase heat to 400°F, and bake for another 15-20 minutes until peppers are soft and just slightly browned.
5. Add desired toppings and serve immediately. Olé!