I'm no Superman, but this boozy dessert might just be my kryptonite. It's got:
– all the tequila-y goodness of a margarita
– a crunchy pretzel crust
– zesty fresh lime juice
– that mix of sweet and salty that we all crave
Isn't your mouth watering? Let's go!
Sweet and Salty Margarita Pie
Prep Time: 30 min. Chill Time: ~2 hr. Difficulty: Medium
Recipe adapted from Dessert for Two
You'll need a small (6" or 7") tart pan.
1 cup mini twist salted pretzels
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
¼ cup sugar
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
2 limes for 6 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 drop green food coloring (optional)
2 teaspoons tequila, divided
⅓ cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1. Use a food processor to reduce pretzels to a fine, crumbly texture. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and mix into the pretzels, then pour this mixture into the tart pan. Use a cup or glass to press the crumb mixture firmly into the bottom and sides of the tart pan. Place the pan in the freezer to set.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the powdered sugar with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. It might take a minute or so to fully incorporate. Once combined, add the egg and egg yolk and blend until smooth; then gradually add lime juice. Stir in a 1" strip of zest from one of the limes, as well as the green food coloring, if using.
3. Pour the mixture into a small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Turn the heat to medium-low and cook while stirring constantly until a thick curd forms that coats the back of the spoon (about 4 minutes). While cooking, remember to keep scraping the edges of the pan to ensure no lumps form. Once thickened, pour into a small bowl, remove the lime zest strip, and stir in 1 teaspoon of the tequila. Then, press plastic wrap directly onto the surface and chill thoroughly.
4. When ready to serve, whip together the heavy cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Stir in the other teaspoon of tequila. Pour the lime curd into the crust, top with the whipped cream, and serve.
I hope you enjoy trying out this lovely summer dessert! Let me know how it turns out. :)
If you liked this boozy dessert, you might enjoy these Irish Brownie Bites with Bailey's and Whiskey!