If you're looking for potato alternative, consider yuca. They are a starchy root and they are awesome boiled, fried, and everything in between. In Spanish, they are called "yuca frita."
What You Need:
2.5 cups of oil
Salt to taste
How To Make It:
1) Peel and chop yuca in fries
2) Take out the stringy, fibrous root in the middle of the yuca
3) Boil yuca in a large pot for about 5-7 minutes. Pat dry.
4) Heat a large pot of oil to medium-high heat
5) Fry for about 10 minutes.
6) Drain oil. Season with salt.