I crave lasagna all the time. It's basically the perfect food: carbohydrates covered in tomato sauce and cheese. LOTS of cheese. This version of the Italian favorite loads it up with lots of veggies, for a healthy version! It's vegetarian, too, so you can feed it to your green-loving friends no problem. But trust me – this won't taste like rabbit food.
Cheesy Vegetable Lasagna
Prep Time: 20 min. Cook Time: 45 min. Difficulty: Easy
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks
10 oz. lasagna noodles
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
4 cloves garlic
1 red pepper, diced
24 oz. white mushrooms, chopped
4 zucchini or yellow squash, diced
1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
30 oz. ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan, plus extra for sprinkling
1 lb. thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and lay flat on a sheet of aluminum foil. Meanwhile, chop veggies.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for a minute. Add diced red peppers and saute for another minute or so. Add squash and mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.
3. Pour in wine, add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and stir. Pour in tomatoes, using hands to squeeze/crush them. Stir to combine and let simmer for 20 minutes or so, then remove from heat and stir in chopped parsley.
4. In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
5. To assemble, spread a little of the vegetable/tomato sauce in a lasagna pan. Layer four cooked noodles in the pan, slightly overlapping them if necessary. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on the noodles. Top the ricotta mixture with mozzarella slices. Spoon a little less than 1/3 of the veggie/sauce mixture over the mozzarella. Repeat the layering two more times, ending with a large helping of vegetable sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan. So these are your layers:
sauce base layer (bottom)
sprinkled parmesan (top)
6. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, then remove foil and continue baking for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
Here's an image of what the lasagna should look like before you put it in the oven.
This is delicious make-ahead meal! Tip: Make 2 pans and freeze one of them, to be reheated on a night when you just don't feel like cooking.
Bon appétit, Vinglers!