As Janice would say "oh...my...god" some of these facts are surprising!! I recently started watching Friends (shout out to Netflix for making it possible), and some of the weird things I've learned about the show have amazed me. I bet bigger Friends fans will be totally shocked by most of these facts!
1. Ellen Degeneres turned down an offer to play the role of Phoebe. I'm glad she did because The Ellen Show rocks and I'm not sure anyone could pull off Phoebe's eccentric personality the way Lisa Kudrow does.
2. Before they landed on the name Friends, they tossed around a couple other ideas like Insomnia Café, Friends Like Us, Across the Hall, Once Upon a Time in the West Village or Six of One. Personally, I like the simplicity of Friends because no offense, Once Upon a Time in the West Village really doesn't roll of the tongue.
3. Central Perk was originally going to be a diner, but eventually producers decided on a cafe instead. I'm glad they did, it gives Friends a much cozier feel than I think a diner would have.
4. The cast made $22,000 for the first episode, and by the end of the series, they each made $1 million per episode. It just goes to show how popular the series really became.
5. After filming the last episode, each cast member took a piece of the sidewalk from outside Central Perk as a keepsake. Asphalt is not necessarily my idea of a charming keepsake, but it's still pretty cute.
6. No one besides the main six ever sat on the orange couch. It became an unspoken rule that that part of the set was Friends only.
7. Only super observant Friends fans would notice this one - Monica's apartment number was changed from 5 to 20 when they realized she was supposed to live on the second floor. A good catch by a continuity error expert.
8. Courtney Cox was originally supposed to play Rachel. This one's weird to think about when you only picture Monica and Ross as siblings.
9. Ross stays 29 years old for three seasons, a continuity error that someone must have missed. In seasons 3, 4 and 5 he mentions being 29 even though years have obviously passed. I'm only on season 2 and I can't wait to get there because now I'll definitely notice!
10. Last, and definitely cutest, the cast would huddle up before filming every episode to wish each other good luck.