This is a thing that is really common on Slovene menu. Tho, I haven't had them in a loooong time. So, tasting this after so many years, it brought back so many childhood memories, of times my grandmothers were cooking for me, while my parents were at work.
So if you never tried this before, here is how you make it (12 dumplings):
- Boil potatoes (7 medium potatoes) in large pot of water, drain and refrigereta for 12-24 hours.
- Peel and grate potatoes and place in large bowl. Add 2 eggs, salt, 3 cups of all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Knead dough until it is firm and set aside.
- Half and pit 12 small apricots and place a lump of sugar where pit was.
- Divide dough in 12 pieces and wrap firmly around each whole apricot. Make sure dumplings are well sealed.
- Drop dumplings in 4-6 quarts boiling water and cook foe 15-20 minutes.
- Remove to platter and sprinkle with butter-soaked breadcrumbs.