In case you hadn't noticed, August 6th is National Root Beer Day. The internet seems to be percolating with all things root beer. Root beer pickles. Root beer cupcakes. Root beer steak. And your most common and oft drank beverage, the root beer float. Click here to see @Allischaaff's card for the perfect, most decadent root beer float. (Psst. It's got Edy's ice cream as one of the ingredients!)
Prep time for this is about 15 minutes. Not bad at all.
2 pounds of chicken wings
Salt to taste
White Pepper to taste
1 cup of root beer, (Barg's anyone?)
¼ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon cornstarch (that has been mixed with 2 teaspoon root beer)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a rimmed cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
2. Place the wings in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and white pepper, toss to coat the wings evenly. Place the wings in rows on the cookie sheet, leaving a little space between each wing.
3. Place the cookie sheet in the oven, and bake for 20 minutes. Flip them over and cook for about 10 minutes more.
4. While they cook combine the root beer, brown sugar, smoked paprika, chipotle powder in a small saucepan. When you drop the sugar into the root beer it will fizz up, it's okay, totally normal. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking as you go along. Once it boils, add the cornstarch slurry. Once it thickens you remove from the heat.
5. At this time take the wings out of the oven, transfer to a mixing bowl (keep your pan out, the wings are going back in the oven to caramelize) and pour about half the liquid into the bowl. Set the other half aside for dipping sauce.
6. Now toss the chicken wings in the sauce to coat evenly. Place them back onto the cookie sheet and spread them out evenly. Place the cookie sheet back in the oven and cook for about 8 to 12 minutes, depending on how crispy you like your wings.
I just finished GOT season 4 last night. I think my only disappointment is that I wasn't eating these while watching. Any ideas on what I can Netflix to death with these sticky chicken beauties? I need another show I can lose myself with.